Friday, October 16, 2009

Bird’s eye view . . . . .

101509_001

As a geography major/geology minor and quartermaster (navigation) in the Navy, maps of all types and air photography have always interested me.  I can get lost for eons of time just browsing using Google maps, Google Earth, or Bing Maps 3D.  You can see land-use patterns, discern the reason for roads being laid out the way they are and a dozen other things.  Before we go on trips I always plot out our route using some of these tools.  And these map environments are getting better and better each day.  Google Maps will give you road closures, construction areas, and even traffic updates for various heavily traveled roads.  Enough babbling about that.  Oh, that photo is off of Google Earth and shows a good portion of Cary, IL.  ■  It’s late – way past my bedtime – and I’ve got to get into work early tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment