Saturday, November 15, 2008

PC up and running??? Cross your fingers . . . .

A few days ago I thought I had my pc up and running again. Boy was I wrong. It's been a full week since it ran correctly. But, I think (cross my fingers) that it's back working again. What was the problem? I think a virus, but I could never confirm it. At any rate after struggling with it for a week - booting and rebooting in normal mode - booting and rebooting in safe mode - trying all sorts of stuff - I ended up using HP's recovery method - which is drastic, but it works. What is it? In short when you buy your HP pc you're instructed to make a set of recovery disks. These contain all the software and settings that you had on the hard drive when you purchased the pc. What the recovery process does is to format your hard drive - and yes, you lose everything - and then reinstall the operating system, drivers, etc. which puts the pc back into the shape it was in when you bought it. Drastic, but it appears to work. ■ But it's still not over. I still have software to install and data files to copy from an old backup. Still a few more hours of work to do. ■ Tomorrow Bullfrog has a gig at a private Bears-Packer party. It's an annual event that the band has played at for the past 4 or 5 years. It's a lot of fun. I'll see if I can't do a few posts from there tomorrow. ■ And I suppose you're wondering what the blog picture is of . . . . . . . . it's of a crystal that contains a frog in a swamp. It sits on a rotating, lighted mirrow. It's pretty neat. ♫

No comments:

Post a Comment