Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Catching up . . . . .

052113_001

This is drawing for someone that won/purchased it at a benefit.  I’ve been busy with other drawings and stuff and now I’m finally getting down to drawing it.  I did do a preliminary sketch of it 3 or 4 months ago, but hadn’t the time to get to it.  Now it’s on its way towards completion.  ■  Had a great time at Murphy’s for their Lilac Parade party.  Saw folks I hadn’t seen in months.  Great food, too.   ■  I’m still working on the ol’ dobro.  Trying to get lots of practice in and it’s showing.  My playing is getting better bit, by bit.  I want to learn to play “Danny Boy”, so I bought some tab (that’s a type of musical notation for guitar (stringed instruments) in open G.  Open G is one of the alternate tunings used by guitar players.  There are dozens of different open, or alternate tunings.  Open G is simply tuning the guitar to a G chord (when all the strings are strummed.)  “Danny Boy” came in open G – but I discovered that it was a different open G tuning – there are several.  My square neck dobro is tuned GBDGBD, while the tab was in DGBDGB.  While they both basically sound the same, the tablature for each would be different.  I couldn’t get the song to sound like itself when I followed the tab.  I thought I just wasn’t playing it with the correct timing.  Not so.  Now that I’ve figured out what was wrong I’m going to have to figure it out by ear.  Not a big deal, but it’s going to take me more time to get it down.  ■  My right knee is still hurting and I wear a brace on it every day.  If a bad knee weren’t enough, I threw out my back Monday morning reaching for shoes to put on.  The back will take a few days to heal.  Usually about a week before it’s back to 95% normal.  ■ 

No comments:

Post a Comment